Meeting Minutes July 25, 2018
Download the .pdf copy of the meeting minutes here.
TOWNSHIP OF CLAY
TOWNSHIP OF CLAY
CLAY TOWNSHIP BOARD MEETING
July 25, 2018, 7:00 PM
MANTRAP VALLEY CONSERVATION CLUB
PARK RAPIDS, MN
- 1. CALL TO ORDER: The July 25th, 2018, Meeting of the Clay Township Board was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Chair Andy Kietzman, and those present recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- 2. ROLL CALL: Present: Chair Andy Kietzman, Supervisors Jeff Haukebo and Norm Leistikow, Treasurer Del Holz, and Clerk Margie Vik. Absent: None. Others Present: Betty Haukebo and Sue Pickus.
- 3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: A motion was made by Leistikow, seconded by Kietzman, and unanimously carried to approve the agenda as presented.
- 4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
- A. Clay Township Regular Meeting Minutes-April 25, 2018: A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Haukebo, and unanimously carried to approve the Clay Township Regular Meeting Minutes for April 25th, 2018, as presented.
- 5. NEW BUSINESS:
- A. Contract for Services for Prevention of AIS: Betty Haukebo and Sue Pickus explained to the board their progress to combat against the infestation of milfoil in Bad Axe Lake, reporting that they have made progress but must continue to apply herbicide at a considerable cost to the adjacent property owners. They reported they conducted a fundraising drive and have raised $5,000.00, which they used to start an endowment fund with the Northwest Foundation. They requested that the board consider helping in their effort financially. A motion was made by Leistikow, seconded by Kietzman, to pay the invoice in the amount of $1,057.36 to PLM Lake and Land Management Corporation to contract for services rendered for herbicide application to Bad Axe Lake. The motion carried 2-0, with Haukebo abstaining.
- B. Minnesota State Demographic Center: Vik stated the Minnesota State Demographer has reported that there are 72 people, and 34 households in Clay Township as of April 1st, 2017.
- C. Hubbard County Township Association Meeting: Leistikow reported he attended the July 16th, 2018, Hubbard County Township Association Meeting, as well as the MAT Short Course on June 18th, 2018.
- D. Kinship Check: Holz reported that Kinship of Park Rapids never received the check issued to them from the township. Check #2024 in the amount of $300.00 has not cleared the bank. A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Leistikow, and unanimously carried to reissue a check in the amount of $300.00 to Kinship of Park Rapids, and to void the previously issued check #2024.
- 6. OLD BUSINESS:
- A. TFL Payments: Holz provided a report to the board of the TFL checks to the township from Hubbard County for the past twelve years. The amounts started to dramatically increase since 2015. The county auditor has advised that the township should not continue to plan on receiving these large amounts in the future since the county has made a big adjustment to their formula to calculate TFL payments and the township’s share will be greatly reduced.
- B. CD Investments with Edward Jones: Haukebo stated the interest rates with Edward Jones are 2.2% versus the 1% the township is getting from Citizen’s Bank. It’s our fiscal responsibility to get the best rates available. A motion was made by Haukebo, seconded by Kietzman, and unanimously carried to invest $50,000.00 in a CD with Edward Jones provided the rates haven’t fallen below 2%.
- 7. APPROVAL OF TREASURERS REPORT: Holz stated $104.15 was received from the money market account interest. A check in the amount of $32,968.28 from Hubbard County for the June tax settlement, and $781.00 for LGA was deposited. A returned check from Cumber Construction in the amount of $885.00 was deposited. Total deposits are $34,634.28. The checking account balance is $500.00, and the money market balance is $211,630.73. There’s a CD in the amount of $50,000.00, which matures on 3-1-19. The total funds are $262,130.73. There’s $167,457.42 in the building fund. There is $300.00 in outstanding checks. The operating balance is $44,373.31. The outstanding invoices for this month are $497.50 for Cumber Construction, $37.50 for Shannon Barnett Web Design, and $1,057.36 for PLM Lake and Land (contract for services). Total payables are $1,892.36. A motion was made by Leistikow, seconded by Kietzman, and unanimously carried to approve the treasurer’s report and to pay the outstanding invoices.
- 8. ADJOURNMENT: A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Leistikow, and unanimously carried to adjourn the meeting at 8:17 p.m.