Meeting Minutes April 26, 2023
Download the .pdf copy of the meeting minutes here.
TOWNSHIP OF CLAY
TOWNSHIP OF CLAY
CLAY TOWNSHIP BOARD MEETING
April 26, 2023, 6:00 PM
PARK RAPIDS, MN
- 1. CALL TO ORDER: The April 26th, 2023, Meeting of the Clay Township Board was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chair Andy Kietzman, and those present recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- 2. ROLL CALL: Present: Chair Andy Kietzman, Supervisors Jeff Haukebo, Mike Lichter, Treasurer Del Holz, Clerk Kristina Case, Stuart Larson with Let’s Go Fishing, Erik Buitenwerf, Hubbard County Environmental Services Director and Steven J. Keranan candidate for Hubbard County District 4 County Commissioner.
- 3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Haukebo, and unanimously carried to approve the agenda as presented.
- 4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
- A. Clay Township Regular Meeting Minutes-March 22nd, 2023: A motion was made by Haukebo, Seconded by Kietzman, and unanimously carried to approve the Clay Township Regular Meeting minutes for March 22nd, 2023, as presented
- 5. NEW BUSINESS:
- A. Let’s Go Fishing- Bingo Application, Mantrap Valley Conservation Club- Bingo Application: Applications are the same as last year. Discussion Followed. A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Haukebo, and unanimously carried to approve both applications.
- B. Park Rapids Fire Contract: A meeting was held on April 12th at 5pm, Township Board Members, Angel Weasner Park Rapids City Administrator and Joe Carlson Park Rapids Fire Department Fire Chief. Jeff Haukebo attended the meeting. The fire contracts have increased this year due to the workers compensation insurance company expecting an increase of PTSD with Police and Fire Department employees. A law was passed allowing insurance companies to raise rates in anticipation ahead of claims. Discussion followed. Clerk Case will follow up with Angel about our actual contract for signature. A motion was made by Haukebo, seconded by Kietzman, and unanimously carried to sign the fire contract pay the invoice.
- C. One Watershed, One Plan: The Crow Wing River One Watershed, One Plan Partnership is initiating a planning process to develop a Comprehensive Watershed Management Plan for the Crow Wing River. The information is requesting submission of priority resource concerns and issues that you feel should be addressed. Submissions are due by June 12th,2023
- D. Moving Itasca Mantrap to General Fund: Treasurer advised he needs the exact amount in a motion to be able to move the money and satisfy requirements. A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Haukebo, and unanimously carried to move $1201.75 for Itasca Mantrap out of Town Hall fund to General Fund.
- E. Wonewok Conference Center: 3M is putting the Wonewok property for sale. Ordinance in place that states 300ft of shoreline and 5 acres.
- F. Steven J. Keranan candidate for Hubbard County District 4 County Commissioner: Introduced himself and gave us background and opened for questions. Discussion Followed
- G. Joe Carlson Park Rapids Fire Chief: Case received and email requesting all road closure information for our township be submitted to assit in updating their systems to avoid any delays on calls.
- H. KGI Wireless, INC: Haukebo advised he spoke with Viju Viswanathan regarding the doing some maintenance under the cell tower.
- I. Minnesota Association of Townships: A general discussion about the MAT and county township associations.
- 6. OLD BUSINESS:
- A. Deep Lake Campground: Eric Buitenwerf and Jeff Haukebo advised that currently the classification of “Park” is not a zoning issue or need to apply for variances. The conditional use permits are allowed under both classifications. County will not need permits for buildings/structures. Discussion followed
- B. Adding Top Soil and Grass to Helipad: Lichter received a quote from Cumber for black dirt, $2200. Kietzman still waiting to get a quote from Howards Driveway to see cost of tar.
- 7. APPROVAL OF TREASURERS REPORT: Holz presented his written treasurer’s report to the board (see attached). A correction needs to be made. Check 2574 for the Fire Contract should be for $6620.65. With that correction the April Payable should be $9,653.37. Board also requested that Holz look into CD rates with the banks for May meeting. A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Lichter, and unanimously carried to approve the treasurer’s report and to pay the outstanding invoices.
- 8. ADJOURNMENT: A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Lichter, and unanimously carried to adjourn the meeting at 7:08 p.m.