Meeting Minutes March 25, 2020
Download the .pdf copy of the meeting minutes here.
TOWNSHIP OF CLAY
TOWNSHIP OF CLAY
CLAY TOWNSHIP BOARD MEETING
MARCH 25, 2020, 6:00 PM
MANTRAP VALLEY CONSERVATION CLUB
PARK RAPIDS, MN
- 1. CALL TO ORDER: The March 25th, 2020, Meeting of the Clay Township Board was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chair Andy Kietzman, and those present recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- 2. ROLL CALL: Present: Chair Andy Kietzman, Supervisor Norm Leistikow, Treasurer Del Holz, and Clerk Margie Vik. Supervisor Jeff Haukebo participated by phone. Absent: None. Others Present: None.
- 3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Leistikow, and unanimously carried to approve the agenda as presented.
- 4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
- A. Clay Township Regular Meeting Minutes-February 26, 2020: A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Leistikow, and unanimously carried to approve the Clay Township Regular Meeting Minutes for February 26th, 2020, as presented.
- 5. NEW BUSINESS:
- A. Local Board of Appeal and Equalization Meeting: Kietzman stated the LBAE meeting will be held by electronic means. The county assessor has set up a To-Go Meeting where you can phone in. One person will need to be at the MVCC location. We can’t go to an open book meeting conducted by the Hubbard County Board because we missed the filing deadline for that. We either have to have a Go-To Meeting or give up conducting our LBAE meeting for the next three years. Haukebo questioned if the meeting could be held in person. Kietzman stated that would be against the social distancing policies placed on us by the state, and it would subject our residents to a possible unsafe situation. The Board agreed to a Go-To Meeting. Kietzman stated he would contact the assessor. She will send out the appropriate notices to our residents.
- B. Fire Contract: A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Haukebo, and unanimously carried to authorize the execution of the 2020-2021 Fire Contract by and between the City of Park Rapids and Clay Township.
- C. Century Link Easement Request: Kietzman stated Century Link is requesting use of the township’s right of way to place a new telephone/utility line for Jewel Drive. A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Haukebo, and unanimously carried to approve the installation of a telephone/utility line by Century Link for Jewel Drive.
- D. Eagle Scout Court of Honor: Kietzman stated he received a letter inviting the Board to Matt Lichter’s Eagle Scout Court of Honor on April 4th. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic it will be postponed, so I don’t know when it will happen. Holz suggested someone from the Board write a letter to the Park Rapids Enterprise Editor to inform them that Matt’s Eagle Scout Project saved a life. We could honor him with a publication on the date his court of honor would have been held. It would say good things about what that young man has done for the township. Kietzman stated he would do that.
- 6. OLD BUSINESS:
- A. MAT Short Course: Kietzman reported the Spring 2020 Minnesota Short Courses have been postponed, and the Hubbard County Noxious Weed Meeting has been canceled.
- B. 2021 Property Tax Levy: Holz stated at the annual meeting the levy was set at $26,000.00 for the Road and Bridge Fund, $26,000.00 for the General Fund, $.00 for the 401 Building Fund, for a total 2021 property tax levy of $52,000.00.
- C. Town Hall Update: Kietzman stated he sent out a bid package to Gartner/Johnson Construction and to Eric Munson who is a sub-contractor. The township attorney has advised us that in the unusual circumstances that we cannot find two or more bidders, we can accept a single bid, but we should have at least two to consider by April 20th.
- 7. APPROVAL OF TREASURERS REPORT: Holz presented his written treasurer’s report to the board (see attached). Kietzman instructed Holz to void the check for the MAT Short Course since we don’t know when or if the classes will be scheduled. A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Leistikow, and unanimously carried to approve the treasurer’s report and to pay the outstanding invoices.
- ADJOURNMENT: A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Leistikow, and unanimously carried to adjourn the meeting at 6:25 p.m.