Meeting Minutes April 27, 2016Download the .pdf copy of the meeting minutes here.
TOWNSHIP OF CLAY
CLAY TOWNSHIP BOARD MEETING
APRIL 27, 2016, 7:00 PM
MANTRAP VALLEY CONSERVATION CLUB
PARK RAPIDS, MN
1. CALL TO ORDER: The April 27th, 2016, Meeting of the Clay Township Board was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Chair Andy Kietzman, and those present recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. ROLL CALL: Present: Chair Andy Kietzman, Supervisors Jeff Haukebo and Norm Leistikow, Treasurer Del Holz, and Clerk Margie Vik. Absent: None. Others Present: None.
3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Leistikow, and unanimously carried to approve the agenda.
4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
A. Clay Township Regular Meeting Minutes-March 23, 2016: A motion was made by Haukebo, seconded by Leistikow, and unanimously carried to approve the Clay Township Regular Meeting Minutes for March 23rd, 2016, with the following changes: Page 1, line 41, change to “contract for services”, and page 2, line 13, change to “contract for services”.
5. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Zoning Permit: Haukebo stated Carolyn Hanson, on the west side of Bad Axe Lake, previously requested a zoning permit to construct a sauna. She is not doing that now, instead will construct a building for storage only. She has reapplied and paid the fee.
A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Leistikow, and unanimously carried to approve a zoning permit for Carolyn Hanson, on the west side of Bad Axe Lake, to construct a storage building.
6. OLD BUSINESS:
A. Jigsaw Drive Road Issues: Kietzman stated he hasn’t received any news yet regarding the road work.
7. APPROVAL OF TREASURERS REPORT: Holz stated he received $44.47 in interest, and $30,552.58 for tax forfeit land. Total receipts are $30,552.58. The checking account balance is $9,639.73, and the money market balance is $141,258.24. The total funds are $150,897.97. Total outstanding checks are $9,636.11. There is $61,670.58 in reserves for the building fund. The total operating balance is $79,591.28.
Holz stated the outstanding invoices for this month are property tax for $146.00, $177.50 for Shannon Barnett Web Design, $1,201.25 for Cumber Construction, $162.83 for Hubbard County Highway Department, and $25.00 for 2-four drawer steel files.
Holz stated regarding the Local Board of Appeal & Equalization Meeting, there seems to be no correlation between our 3.5% across the board levy reduction in taxes for 2016 and the resultant tax rates. There were no assurances made when asked if the .1034% reduction we are considering for 2017 would result in any property tax reductions for Clay property owners. I recommend that prior to the deadline for filing our 2017 levy, we revisit our proposed 2017 levy with an eye toward reducing it from a $6,000.00 (.1034%) reduction to a $3,000.00 (.0517%) reduction. Kietzman stated there was a significant chunk of Bad Axe Lake that went off the property tax rolls last year which other property owners had to make up for. Haukebo stated we can ask the county assessor for information on the Clay Township tax rolls as a whole. We can’t evaluate based on individual properties. Holz stated we weren’t given any assurances that our property taxes will go down. Kietzman stated there are many variables in the tax system, but we can compare several years to see what trends are reflected.
A motion was made by Haukebo, seconded by Kietzman, and unanimously carried to approve the treasurer’s report and to pay the outstanding invoices.
8. ADJOURNMENT: A motion was made by Kietzman, seconded by Haukebo, and unanimously carried to adjourn the meeting at 7:38 p.m.
ATTEST: Chair Andy Kietzman
Margie M. Vik